Saturday, January 3, 2009

Connections

I've been hiding for over a month. I'm not sure who or what I'm hiding from. I just know that I've been hiding.
I have heard people claim that we are the sum total of everyone that we've met in our lives. I'm not sure that I wholly agree with that...I'd like to believe that there is something unique in each of us that can't be simply molded by our experiences. However, when I think of who I am now, versus who I was when I met Mark, I think maybe it has some truth.

Mark and I spent nine years together. We lived together, slept together, we loved, we fought, we expressed our biggest fears, kept a few secrets - but our hearts were always an open book. He has affected me more than anyone else in my life. We spent more time together, one on one than I spent with anyone else. Some of those hours were spent just huddled together sleeping - but even then we were connecting. I always woke up when he left the bed. Part of me must have known something was wrong. If he wasn't next to me sleeping I'd wake up and find him usually in the bathroom. Now we know that he woke up frequently because of his tumor. After he left, I couldn't sleep for over three months because my body sensed his absence and refused to allow me to rest without him. All I knew was that he wasn't where he belonged...next to me. He never will be again.

You don't need candlelight dinners to connect. Open yourself to the multitude of connections that everyday life offers. Don't pass them up - they may never occur again.

No comments: